Thursday, March 7, 2013

week 9 - reflections

In week 9 we switched back on a theoretical input - Howard Gardener's Multiple Intelligences concerning learning styles. I am very familiar with this issue, but it was good to revise it and take a further look at my project report and correct it critically with the multiple intelligence issue in mind.

With a chart list of each intelligence I questioned my activities and did some changes and adjustments, which suddenly seemed necessary in the means of a motivatind, effective and active learning situation. 

As I learnt from my English students, that the quantity of used web tools is unimportant, the learning activity, that meets students' learning styles best, should be much more focussed on. I was too much worring about the technology, which should actually just be  a helpful tool and not the issue itself. 

I also learnt that it is important to foster learning content and design lessons, that can be easily stretched out, in case students need more time and more practice. To make it clear and simple, I have to keep learners busy throughout the training with motivating tasks and invite learners to design and plan lessons the way they would like it as well, so I can find out about activities they prefer, enjoy and especiall their learning style. 

Actually I had planned to introduce ANVILL to my voluntary students (= guineapigs to practice my first web tool training) , which they suddenly refused to sign up. I reflected on this to find out the problem and I am sure I taught too many tools within a short time. Adult learners don't like to register averywhere. They think about the consequences and do hate spamming and unpleasant email, adverts, pop ups........
Unfortunatel they said, that all the technology was a bit too much in such a short time, which I think they were right. I didn't leave enough time to foster English content and allow time to get familiar with specific technology tools in a playful way.

If I had introduced ANVILL in the beginning, I am sure this would have been better, because they would have learnt to work with the advantages of a learning management system from the very beginning and would be working with it passionately now.

Now, I would leave a bit of time to work creatively with what learners already know and after some week, I would invite my students to do a poll about expectations in class, ideas to look at and if they feel ready for new tools and platforms or if they would have any other language expectations and need.

This survey can be done by www.kwiksurveys.com, a free and easy to create web tool for surveys. The survey link is easily embedded into the homepage/site/learning platform. 

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=g3sqxsieq667co4107231 
I enjoyed exploring this web tool.

There is one issue that I really learnt in week 8 and 9. When we had to set up our blog at bloggers, I decided to prepare an empty page for each week, because I love planning ahead. With blogs this turned out to be a bad idea.
An added blog post is listed beyond the latest date and not entry, which I did not think of in the beginning. If I prepare the template for all pages right in the beginning but post it with comments later on, it would not be rearrange and relisted beyond the latest entry, it would just mix up. This is very annoying for me, because my blog entries do not come up in the order I would like to have them and with blogs, this cannot be corrected afterwards anymore, blogs are not as flexible in template design as homepages. I feel very sorry, that my well planned strategie turned out to be a mistake. Now I know it better and will be able to prevent my students from making the same mistake.
Grrrrr!

I also did some changes to my final project in the rubrics and the deadline for students' homework. I think this should be just a guideline to get learners to start work more regularly. Due to some live circumstances, technology,... I will have to be prepared to slight chances, so that learners have the chance to meet goals and do work successfully, which is pure motivation. Not all learners have the same potential, positive learning background and attitude and will to learn studiously. Well, it must be said, that we still have to keep in mind, that we teach humans and no machines.










7 comments:

  1. I agree that we have studied or gone over the multiple intelligence theory again and found it as interesting as I read the book from Gardner years ago.
    it is always great to refresh things and it makes you think about new ideas and processes and activities for our students,

    I also tried the site you mention about the survey and how to create it and found out that I liked it.

    I always have a little child in my mind, hope everybody has it in his and so I work as an eager child trying to find out the new thing or the thing to come. I enjoyed it thank you for that,

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena,

      Thank you for your comment on my blog post of week 9.

      I just received a very interesting email about water world day on the 22nd of March, 2013 and I thought you would be interested in challenging and authentic material with issues of general concern. Let me forward it to you.

      http://www.watercooperation2013.org/

      I like this site and some interesting English videos that are provided, because I think I could introduce this topic to my learners. If would fit kids and adults.
      Feel free to have a look if you like.
      I highly recommend these videos:
      for kids: http://www.unwater.org/water-cooperation-2013/youths-and-kids/en/

      for adults:
      controle water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJOOfOpUYs&list=FL0DWWSy7LMJqishPTkSOfkw
      the earth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1X-bNW180&list=FL0DWWSy7LMJqishPTkSOfkw


      Brigitte

      Delete
  2. Hi Brigitte: 1 thing you said in your post really stands out for me. you mentioned that you were concerned and focused on the tools and not so much on the students. This is very typical risk of happening when we are introducing new tools, but you are right in wanting to move away from that. The students should remain at the center of our focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert for your comment. Attending teacher trainings like this give a lot of insight and give a good guideline to question own thinking and teaching methods. I feel responsible towards my students to attend regular trainings as a personal "must" and desire. Unfortunately it is not easy to "keep the wheel turning" because if I liked to improve and carry on where I have just stopped after the eTeacher Training, there are no similar trainings in my country.

      What if, students like all of us in this eTeacher Training want to carry on and attend similar trainings after a while again? Are there platforms? Would it be possible for us to attend another eTeacher Training with scholarship or is this just a unique opportunity for us?

      Brigitte

      Delete
  3. I think that we should provide for different technological tools that cater for different types of intelligences. In that way students would be able to learn more and better.

    And I also feel that technology is a tool . Teachers are still necessary. I am also a translator and I have not found a machine that could translate the feelings an author had when saying something. So dont worry teachers will go on living.

    I feel that technology helps and it is a resource and years ago it was a tape-recorder, a video, a CD , pictures and the like.

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello brigitte falkner ,

    I liked what you mentioned about the quantity of web tools and that the most important is to have a focus on the learning styles. The technology can motivate , attract and enhance but these actions can/t be achieved when they are against the students' learning styles. There should be matching between what is introduced and the students attitudes, skills and needs. I also agree with you that the teacher should have activities that can be stretched. In the same time the teacher should learn his students how to fulfill a task in a definite time and this will make them active and highly motivated. I liked the survey creator website. I will use it for my work . Thank you.



    Mustafa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brigitte,

    I agree with you that the integration of technology into our language classroom should be step by step, and should allow time for students "to get familiar with specific technology tools in a playful way". Your idea helps me to consider my plan more carefully, because I intend to introduce some new tools to my students.

    I also viewed your final project and saw that you made a lot of improvement.

    I am sorry to hear about your child and hope he is well now.

    Best regards,
    Huong

    ReplyDelete